Autonomous robots accompany gait training on forearm supports
Robot-assisted gait training
The mobile robotics platform THERY has been developed for various physiotherapy applications in the healthcare sector.
Our first application was designed to help patients while they practise self-directed gait training on crutches. For this purpose, our training robot accompanies patients while they practise on their own and provides correction recommendations.
"Imagine the great possibilities opened up by the guided use of these autonomous robots! If we are able to outsource routine activities to the robot in acute hospitals and rehabilitation clinics, there will be more valuable time left for actual hands-on therapy, physiotherapy, manual therapy and osteopathy, for example. At the same time, patients are given the opportunity to actively control their recovery process by using the robot to assist them while practising on their own. These therapy and diagnostic robots offer an excellent perspective for the health and care of patients, especially in orthopaedics and traumatology."
Prof. Dr. Claudia Winkelmann
Alice Salomon Hochschule Berlin
Advantages for clinics, therapists and patients
Advantages for clinics
- Training sessions can also be scheduled in the evening, at weekends, and on holidays
- Robot THERY assists the patient’s self-directed gait training without requiring further assistance from medical staff
- Flexible scheduling of training sessions
- Robot-assisted training programmes are based on extensive therapeutic expertise
- Privacy: data collection, processing and storage fully comply with GDPR requirements; both server operator and actual server are based in Germany
Advantages for therapists
- Robot-assisted, self-directed training with correction recommendations
- Training sessions can be scheduled flexibly
- Cloud-based therapy management system (TMS), which allows for personalised planning of training sessions
- Patient self-service: robot itself provides tutorial on how to use robot
- Overall progress of the training sessions is being tracked and documented
- Therapy progress data can be exported to patient's medical record upon completion of the therapy programme.
Advantages for patients
- Easy to use
- Patients stay committed as they are able to schedule fixed dates for self-directed training sessions with the robot
- Training session can also be scheduled beyond the therapists' regular working hours
- Correction recommendations while patients practise on their own